Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Dan's Honor from the Los Angeles City Council



Tonight Dan finally received his Los Angeles City Council resolution for his 35 years of service as a Los Angeles City firefighter. It is signed by all the council members, the mayor and the city clerk. Even though he retired almost three years ago, it took almost that long to get his well deserved resolution. We had dinner with Dan's friend and fellow firefighter (who is actually now a Batallion Chief) Craig Yoder and his wife Frances. Craig was the MC for Dan's retirement dinner and helped usher through the resolution. That's Craig in the photo with Dan.

To get this we had to contact Councilman Tom LaBonge who graciously brought the resolution before the City Council where it was passed on March 25th 2011. I worked with two members of his staff who were so helpful. If it hadn't been for them and Craig, we still would not have gotten it. Thanks to them!

The most beautiful thing about this resolution is that all the artwork is done entirely by hand. All the gold leaf and the calligraphy are done by hand. It is truly a work of art! I have heard that the City employs a calligrapher who does these special pieces. That person is a very gifted artist and well worth keeping even in these days of dwindling budgets.

Finally, I am so proud of Dan and have always been so proud of his career and his bravery throughout all his professional life. I think about the many lives that he has touched and influenced and I am so immensely moved. This is true for all firefighters.

Even though its been almost 10 years since September 11th, I was still very emotional when I heard that Osama Bin Laden had finally been eliminated. Justice has indeed been served and I thank President Obama for his determination to bring this murderer to justice. I told a friend at the time that I would NEVER be resolved to this horrible tragedy and I never will as long as I live. Now that Bin Laden is gone those who lost their lives that day may now finally rest in peace.

My thanks to Dan for being a great firefighter, but more important than that, for being an even greater husband and father. My life has been blessed beyond measure by him and I'm grateful for his presence in my life every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment